Chicago plays host to the largest indoor “All Sail” boat show in the country. Here in Utah we love going to the boat show (February 7-8 at the South Towne Expo Center) but if we could only be so lucky to get in one sail boat! Held at Navy Pier, the show is considered to be “the sailing event of the year” by some.
This year not only were there boats, but wide array of seminars, speakers and activities for sailors of any age and skill level.
Seminar Topics Included:
- Critical ground tackle design issues
- Stress-free anchoring techniques
- Anchor retrieval
- How to kedge off if you run aground
- Troublefree docking against wind and tide
- Coming off a dock against wind and tide
- The limits of chart accuracy in the digital age
- Key differences between raster and vector charts
Besides the hands on, DIY and interactive seminars there was also an author’s corner, a remote control sailing pond sponsored by Progressive and several other family friendly activites from Sail Magazine, a Water Discover Boating Center and a boat building station for kids.
Whew! Is it possible to have this much fun at an indoor boat show in Chicago in the middle of winter? Guess so. See you at next year’s boat show-Jan. 23-26, 2014.
Here is the link to their Website for more information about the 2013 and 2014 show.